In an interview with FRANCE 24 on Thursday, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey supports the Saudi-led mission to rout Shiite rebels in Yemen and said ground troops will be needed to defeat the Islamic State group in Iraq. Erdogan told FRANCE 24 that Ankara may consider providing “logistical support” to the Saudi-led military mission launched overnight Thursday in Yemen. Saudi Arabia is leading a coalition that includes most of the Gulf states as well as Egypt, Sudan, Morocco and Jordan to rout the Shiite Houthi rebels that have seized parts of Yemen and its capital Sanaa and forced the president to flee. “We support Saudi Arabia’s intervention,” Erdogan said. “Turkey may consider providing logistical support based on the evolution of the situation.” The Houthis – widely thought to be backed by Shiite regional power Iran – must withdraw from the country, Erdogan said, along with the terrorist groups also active in Yemen, including al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula. “Iran and the terrorist groups must withdraw,” he said. Erdogan went on to discuss Iran’s ambitions in Iraq and the US-led coalition to defeat Islamic State militants. “The aim of Iran is to increase its influence in Iraq,” he said. “Iran is trying to chase Daeshfrom the region only to take its place,” he added, using the Arabic term for the Islamic State group (Source: France24).
Thursday’s telephone conversation was just the lasted attempt by German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Francois Hollande to rescue the peace accord reached a week ago in Minsk,which they spearheaded. Following their latest conference call involving Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, the four leaders called on the two parties to the conflict in eastern Ukraine to fully implement the terms of the agreement. “They agreed that to do this, immediate, concrete steps must be taken towards the comprehensive implementation of the ceasefire and a withdrawal of heavy weapons under the observation of the OSCE [Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe], as agreed in the Minsk package of measures,” German government spokesman Steffen Seibert told reporters in Berlin on Thursday. The office of President Hollande issued a similar statement, adding that “the breaches in the ceasefire seen in recent days were denounced.” A Kremlin statement also said the four leaders had agreed that the truce must be sustained. Poroshenko, though denounced the pro-Russia rebels who appear to have taken control of the town of Debaltseve, part of which until Wednesday was held by government troops (Source: Deutsche Welle).
NATO’s military leaders intend to re-establish contact with their Russian counterparts, after months of tension over the crisis in Ukraine, NATO’s top military commander Gen. Philip Breedlove said Thursday.
“We have talked an awful lot about how we re-establish comm [communication] and the fact that the communication with our senior military interlocutors in Russia is important,” Breedlove told a news conference.
He said he had spoken to General Valery Gerasimov, chief of the general staff of Russia’s armed forces, even after Russian troops moved in to Ukraine’s Crimea region last year.
“We are going to re-establish that, we have talked among several of us senior military leaders how we will do that … but yes, we are going to re-establish communication with Valery (Gerasimov),” he said (Source: The Moscow Times).
A suicide car bomb exploded at the gate of a Mogadishu hotel where Turkish delegates were meeting on Thursday, a day ahead of a visit by their President Tayyip Erdogan to the Somali capital, police said. At least two police officers were killed but none of the Turkish delegates were wounded in the attack which was claimed by Islamist al Shabaab rebels, said officials. Erdogan would go ahead with his trip, a source at his office in Ankara told Reuters. Turkey’s Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said an investigation was under way to see if the delegation was deliberately targeted. Al Shabaab, which has carried out attacks across east Africa including a 2013 raid on a Nairobi shopping mall that killed 67, claimed responsibility for the assault but did not mention the Turkish delegation or Erdogan. “We attacked (the) hotel and killed several of the Somali police officers who were meeting there,” al Shabaab’s military operation spokesman, Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab, told Reuters. A Reuters witness saw two police officers lying dead in front of the destroyed gate, and what appeared to be the mangled body of the suicide bomber. Erdogan became the first non-African leader to visit war-torn Somalia in nearly 20 years when he traveled there in 2011, as Turkey’s prime minister (Source: Yahoo! News).
Russia’s parliament has given preliminary approval to a bill that would prohibit the activities of so-called “undesirable” foreign companies and organizations in Russia, should they be deemed to pose a threat to the state.
The bill, adopted in the first reading Monday, targets any foreign entity seen as “presenting a threat to the defense capability or security of the state, or to public order, or to the health of population,” according to the text of the bill released by the State Duma.
Those groups may be declared “undesirable on the territory of the Russian Federation,” the bill says, adding that the purpose of the move would be to protect, among other aspects, the “morality” of the nation.
Observers have noted that the bill could provide grounds for the prohibition of any foreign company or organization that officials see as unfriendly.
“If this bill is signed into law, this will be a sign that the state can put pressure on any organization it wants,” said Nikolai Petrov, a professor of political science at Moscow’s Higher School of Economics. “The bill is not about devising a list of organizations as such. It simply shows that the state will be able to make decisions about these organizations’ operations in Russia.”
Alexander Tarnavsky, one of the authors of the bill and a member of the party A Just Russia, told the TASS news agency that the proposed legislation aimed to “establish that there are foreign organizations that are unfriendly to Russia” (Source: The Moscow Times).
In an atmosphere of fear after the deadly attack on the French magazine Charlie Hebdo, officials in the European Union are proposing an array of anti-terror initiatives, including new surveillance laws that would give security agencies greater access to personal data. A key measure under consideration is a data-retention law which would replace one that the EU’s highest court struck down last year for infringing on fundamental rights. The push for extra surveillance comes as police authorities in Europe warn of imminent attacks by extremists. An anti-Islam march in Germany and a counter-rally for tolerance have been called off after alleged threats of violence, heavily armed police and special forces are guarding Jewish schools as well as news organizations across northern Europe, and the EU has raised its terror alert status to “yellow” – the third-highest level. Merkel has called for the EU to accelerate passage of a new law that would authorize the collection and storage of vast amounts of personal data, though she hasn’t released details of her plan. Last spring, the European Court of Justice ruled that the Data Retention Directive, approved in 2006, was invalid because it constituted “suspicionless mass surveillance” which the court considered disproportionate and in violation of fundamental rights. The directive had required all EU states to adopt national legislation mandating that communication companies store the private data of EU citizens for at least six months but no more than 24 months. Police and security agencies could request access to Internet Protocol addresses as well as the time every email, phone call or text message was sent or received; court approval was required for law enforcement authorities to access the data. Many observers thought the court ruling spelled the end for any kind of data-retention law in the EU—until the Charlie Hebdo attack (Source: The Intercept).
Iran and Russia signed an agreement Tuesday to expand military ties in a visit to Tehran by the Russian defense minister. Sergei Shoigu, in remarks carried by Russian news agencies, said Moscow wants to develop a “long-term and multifaceted” military relationship with Iran. He said that the new agreement includes expanded counter-terrorism cooperation, exchanges of military personnel for training purposes and an understanding for each country’s navy to more frequently use the other’s ports. Iran’s Defense Minister Hussain Dehghan urged greater cooperation as a means of opposing American ambitions in the region. Moscow and Tehran have staunchly supported Syrian President Bashar Assad throughout Syria’s civil war, while Washington advocates regime change and supports rebel groups. “Iran and Russia are able to confront the expansionist intervention and greed of the United States through cooperation, synergy and activating strategic potential capacities,” Dehghan said. “As two neighbors, Iran and Russia have common viewpoints toward political, regional and global issues.” Russia has maintained friendly ties with Iran and has built its first nuclear power plant. Last fall, it signed a deal to build two more reactors in Iran (Source: Gulf News).
Russian military forces and equipment have entered Ukraine, Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk says, according to a report from Ukraine’s state-run media on Monday. “I have just spoken with the national defense and security council secretary. Ukrainian military intelligence confirm the fact military personnel and equipment have been transferred from Russia to Ukraine,” the prime minister is quoted as saying. He continued: “Tanks, GRAD multiple rocket systems, BUK and SMERCH systems, radio electronic intelligence systems are not sold at local Donetsk street markets. Only the Russian army and Defense Ministry have them.” The prime minister’s spokeswoman, Olga Lappo, confirmed to CNN the quotes attributed to Yatsenyuk are accurate. Russian officials could not be immediately reached for a response. The report came a day after protesters gathered at Kiev’s Independence Square to march for peace, Yatsenyuk and Ukraine’s President were among those who attended the rally, which had as its slogan, “I am Volnovakha,” in memory of the 13 passengers who died near the city of Volnovakha after their bus was hit by artillery fire on January 13 (Source: CNN).
Following Monday’s meeting of European Union foreign ministers in Brussels, the bloc’s foreign policy coordinator, Federica Mogherini (pictured above, right), said the EU planned to move quickly to implement measures to increase cooperation with countries in the Arab world, as well as Turkey. “We are looking at specific projects to launch in the coming weeks with some specific countries to increase the level of cooperation on counter-terrorism, and I would name Turkey, Egypt, Yemen, Algeria and the Gulf countries,” Mogherini told a press conference. Following a meeting with visiting Arab League Secretary General Nabil al-Arabi (above, left), Mogherini said that among other things, the EU planned to send “security attachés” to the blocs delegations in countries in the Muslim world to work to develop anti-terror strategies. For his part, Arabi expressed a willingness to cooperate to combat terrorism, although he did say there may be reservations from some governments, in part due to their frustration over EU criticism of the state of human rights in their countries. Another major thrust of the new EU initiative is to take steps to cut off the terrorist networks’ sources of funding. She said the EU would soon meet with experts on this aspect of counter-terrorism from several countries, including the United States, Australia, Canada and Switzerland (Source: Deutsche Welle).
If I had not read Hayko Bağdat’s article last week in daily Taraf, I would not have realized that there are more similarities than meet the eye between the Charlie Hebdo killings and the murder of Turkish-Armenian journalist Hrant Dink. Their common point is not limited to both incidents being attacks on freedom of expression. In his article, Bağdat recalled the first testimony of Ogün Samast, who shot Dink in front of his newspaper Agos in January 2007. Samast told the police that he first went up the stairs to meet Dink, but could not get in as he was told he had to make an appointment. “I then called Yasin Hayal [who is charged with being the instigator of the assassination]. I thought of going back to the newspaper and killing other Armenians. But Yasin said ‘there is no need,’” he said. In other words, Dink’s colleagues at Agos could have faced a similar tragedy to that of Charlie Hebdo, where 10 journalists and two policemen were killed on Jan. 7. As was the case with the Charlie Hebdo tragedy, which was followed by a march of solidarity by millions, a similar yet unexpected phenomenon took place in Turkey, as Dink’s funeral turned into a march attended by thousands carrying banners reading “We are all Hrant Dink; we are all Armenian.” Now, each year, the day of his murder is marked by a march. Yesterday, on the eighth anniversary of Dink’s death, mourners marched to commemorate him. Unfortunately, the event was not attended by any officials. In contrast, Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu made the right move and attended the solidarity march in Paris on Jan. 11. In fact, French Ambassador to Turkey Laurent Bili told me that Davutoğlu proposed to make the trip to Paris to present his condolences in person, even before a decision was made to organize a march (Source: Hurriyet Daily News).